Paper is the traditional gift for the first wedding anniversary. It can be hard to come up with ideas for gifts that prominently feature paper but are still romantic. But it’s not impossible. Here some paper gifts that will make your spouse swoon on your first wedding anniversary:
1. TicketsPick up tickets for a concert, sporting event, theatrical performance, or even a second honeymoon. Just make sure it’s an event that your spouse will enjoy.
2. CardsA card you’ve made yourself or a personalized deck of playing cards with a sweet note inviting your spouse to play with you could make fine first anniversary gifts.
3. An InvitationIf you’d like to make dinner or take your spouse out to dinner, you could invite him or her with a lovely invitation that you either make yourself or purchase. It shows you’ve put thought into the evening because you’re tending to the details and still including paper.
4. Bouquet of Paper FlowersGiving your spouse a bouquet of flowers always makes a big impression. A bouquet of flowers that you either purchase or, better yet, make yourself is an even bigger show stopper. Paper flowers are quite delicate and take a long time to make. Your spouse will know you put in a lot of effort. The best part: Unlike real flowers, paper bouquets never die.
5. NewspaperTrack down a copy of the newspaper from the date and town when you married. Your spouse will be able to keep it as a commemorative item or you could even frame it and hang it in your home.
6. MoneyThis one is a bit tricky. Some spouses might be offended or feel as though you didn’t put any thought into the anniversary gift. Still, money is made of paper, so it fits the bill. Plus, with money, your spouse could indulge in something he or she really wants. Read your spouse well and determine if this is the right gift for him or her.
7. ScrapbookA paper scrapbook featuring photos (which are printed on paper) that you have made for your spouse is a truly meaningful gift. It could focus on the wedding or document the entire first year – from the wedding to your first anniversary.
8. BooksA novel or book of poetry that rings true of your relationship or has meaning for you as a couple is a great present for the intellectual pair.
9. A LetterNothing says, “I love you,” more than a thoughtful, candid, handwritten love letter. It’s old-fashioned and sweet and will warm the heart of your spouse.
10. YouWrap yourself in nothing but paper or jump out of a nicely decorated cardboard box to give your spouse a real surprise -- and something lovely to unwrap!