1. People & Relationships
Francesca  Di Meglio

Kissing and Intimacy

By September 7, 2011

Wedding Album Wednesday - This Kiss

Royal Kiss - Andreas Rentz/Getty Images

Georg Friedrich Ferdinand Prince of Prussia kisses Princess Sophie of Prussia on their wedding day, Aug. 27, 2011 in Potsdam, Germany. Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images

The royal newlyweds of Germany above are starting their marriage on the right foot - with a beautiful, lovely kiss. Whenever I kiss my husband, I feel like we're just falling in love for the first time. Those butterflies float around in my stomach and a shiver runs down my spine. But it also makes me feel connected to him mentally. It's like I can be certain there is no one else on Earth we are meant to be kissing in this way. I imagine the bride and groom above are feeling something akin to that in this photo, especially since it was their wedding day.

Kissing is one of the many ways to increase intimacy, a key ingredient in enduring marriages. Recently, I wrote about the five ways to increase intimacy in your relationship. While kissing and touch were one of the five suggestions I offered, there are others. And I'm sure I'm missing a few. What do you think the others are?

Follow Newlyweds on Facebook and Twitter.

Comments
September 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm
(1) phylameana says:

xoxoxoxoxo – don’t forget hugs. Hugs are very healing.

September 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(2) Susan says:

Your five ways of increasing intimacy are certainly golden. I would add taking care of each other. Whether it’s something simple like bringing a spouse coffee or something larger like being supportive during illness, taking care of each other looms larger as time goes by.

September 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm
(3) NS Gill says:

I’m with Phyl about hugging. I don’t remember that pair getting married. They look so elegant.

September 7, 2011 at 7:56 pm
(4) Nancy says:

Say “I love you” every day and also say something positive about your spouse…either thank him/her for doing something for you or say how much you appreciate him/her contributing to your relationship in a specific way. People need to hear affirming words every day, especially in this world in which we are so often torn down instead of built up.

September 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm
(5) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

Being parents and grandparents together brings a couple very close.

September 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm
(6) Linda Larsen says:

Beautiful picture! Yes, kisses are very important.

September 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm
(7) Natasha Williams says:

Holding hands is also a great way to stay connected and build intimacy.