1. People & Relationships
Francesca  Di Meglio

Eating Cake on Your Anniversary?

By October 21, 2009

Wordless Wednesday Anniversary

Wedding Cake - Rosaria Di Meglio

Many couples eat the top of their wedding cake on their first wedding anniversary. Photo by Rosaria Di Meglio

October is the new June, which means many newlyweds are celebrating their first wedding anniversary this month. The first anniversary is particularly special and has its own traditions. Many Americans freeze the top of their wedding cakes and eat it on their first anniversary. Most people tell me the taste is not the greatest, but it's a reminder of the celebration from the year before.

In fact, the cake in the photo above is the one from the vow renewal that my husband and I celebrated in the United States after getting married in Italy. I was planning to freeze the top of our cake and eat it on Nov. 29, the anniversary of our vow renewal, but the restaurant forgot to give it to us. As a result, I'm ordering a small cake from the bakery that made this one for us. Frankly, I just like any tradition that has you eating yummy cake. Did you eat your cake on your anniversary? Do you plan to eat it?

More Beautiful Wedding Photos

Favorite Wedding Day Photos

More Wordless Wednesday Photos from Other Bloggers

Comments
October 21, 2009 at 8:54 am
(1) Martha says:

Wow, it’s been almost a year since you got married, time flies. Happy anniversary (ahead of time). Frankly I think your idea of ordering a new cake from the same bakery sounds much better than eating a piece of the old cake. Maybe you will start a new tradition.

October 21, 2009 at 9:04 am
(2) Beth says:

A relative of mine was entrusted with her daughter and son-in-law’s cake top for safe keeping until their first anniversary. Unfortunately, this relative has memory problems and, on finding cake in her freezer, she ate it. Upon finding out what she had done, she ordered a new one and put *it* into the freezer…only to later eat that one, too. She ordered a third one, and that one finally got safely to her daughter and SiL.

I think this is a good lesson…Even if you’re moving about a bit and don’t have much freezer room, don’t leave your topper with forgetful relatives. (Personally, I like the “get a new one” idea better anyway, too!)

October 21, 2009 at 9:07 am
(3) Nancy says:

Wow, time does fly!

We froze our wedding cake top (carrot cake) and left it at my parents’ house (I can’t think why now, as we had an apartment…). We did eat it on our anniversary but it was quite freezer-burned. It probably would have been better to get a new one.

October 21, 2009 at 9:11 am
(4) Susan Adcox says:

In the part of the world where I live, October is a much better choice for a wedding than June, which is often rainy and always hot.

When my first daughter was married, there was quite a lot of wedding cake left, and it ended up in my freezer. I snacked on it off and on for a long time, and it stayed delicious. I remember that I was careful not to eat the top layer, but I’m not sure if the couple ever claimed it.

October 21, 2009 at 9:29 am
(5) NSGill says:

The mother of a friend of mine recycled birthday cakes for each of the children in her family. The old cake was dried and probably replaced part of the flower in her recipe. The cakes were absolutely wonderful. They weren’t quite so pretty, of course.

October 21, 2009 at 10:42 am
(6) Daddy Forever says:

My wife and thought about freezing the cake, but we didn’t because we were not sure how safe it was to eat it a year later.

October 21, 2009 at 11:56 am
(7) Stan says:

Wow, that’s a cool cake. Non-traditional is sometimes really nice.

October 21, 2009 at 12:38 pm
(8) Julia @ Easy Eco To Go says:

Yes, we saved the top of our cake for out anniversary. I have to say it wasn’t quite as tasty a year later though! It was fun however and I highly recommend doing it! Happy WW!

October 21, 2009 at 12:42 pm
(9) Linda Larsen says:

What a gorgeous cake, and I love how the picture was taken from the top! We ate the top of our cake a year later (if it’s frozen it’s perfectly safe to eat). Hard to believe that was 27 years ago!

October 21, 2009 at 1:21 pm
(10) Suzanne says:

I agree that any tradition that involves eating cake is a good one! And the new cake sounds much more appealing than a freezer-burned one, so I don’t think you should lament the fact that you didn’t save the top of your original cake.

October 21, 2009 at 3:03 pm
(11) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

I can’t say that our cake tasted very good after a year in the freezer but it did seem to have a lasting effect of keeping us together. I like your idea Of ording a freshone yearly Yum. And you know it’s not true what they say about not being able to eat your cake and have it to. After several years of wedded bliss celebrated by eating cake just check your thighs and you’ll know just what I mean LOL

October 21, 2009 at 3:59 pm
(12) Amy says:

That is a stunning cake! Gorgeous!

October 21, 2009 at 4:07 pm
(13) Connie G. says:

We wrapped ours up very carefully and plan to eat it on our first anniversary in December!

October 21, 2009 at 11:28 pm
(14) Lisa's Chaos says:

What a pretty cake!

October 22, 2009 at 8:17 am
(15) Regina says:

We froze ours but I don’t think we ate it because it didn’t look so appealing after it was defrosted.

August 3, 2010 at 1:52 pm
(16) Jenn says:

Well…. We just tried a piece of ours a few minutes ago… I have to say: It’s not terrible, but it’s definitely not something I’d make a habit of trying. The flowers (which were forgotten about) left pretty yellow stains on the pink frosting and were hard as heck to pull out. Strangely enough, our cake had a lemony taste to it (it was chocolate, vanilla and strawberry a year ago!). So far no terrible food poisoning or thoughts of strangling each other, so I’m sure we’ll be fine. LOL

August 4, 2010 at 12:25 pm
(17) Newlyweds Guide Francesca says:

Jenn, I am glad to hear that your wedding cake didn’t poison you on your anniversary. I imagine it doesn’t taste all that fresh. Mine had been thrown away, so we bought a small cake in the same flavor of our cake from the bakery that made the wedding cake. It was fresh and delicious. We might do that again for our second anniversary for fun. You might want to do that, too. Congrats!

September 21, 2010 at 4:04 pm
(18) carrie golden says:

hahaha, my husband and I just had our 1 year 2 days ago and the cake has not been touched yet!..got my mother telling me that it is bad luck not to eat it…so we decided to bring the cake to my moms and have our wedding cake war, we didn’t smash cake into each others faces @ wedding, which kinda upset my mom..so to make up for not “smearing” each other on our wedding we did it on our anniversary!

September 22, 2010 at 8:08 pm
(19) newlyweds says:

Carrie, that’s wonderful. I’m glad you smashed cake into each other’s faces. Happy, happy anniversary!

April 3, 2011 at 1:02 am
(20) Jessica says:

I’m eating our cake right now as I type. I got my husband to take a bite earlier, but that is all (he won’t touch leftovers). It is quite delicious still. Here’s my secret: I left it out long enough for the icing to harden so it wouldn’t ruin the roses while wrapped. First two layers were thick plastic food wrap, next two layers were tin foil, and final layer was a plastic bag. I set it out yesterday evening (from the deep freezer) and opened it to eat today and it was yummy. I even took a pic.

April 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm
(21) newlyweds says:

Happy Anniversary Jessica! Thanks for the great tips on how to wrap up the cake so it freezes well. Yum!