1. People & Relationships
Francesca  Di Meglio

May-December Marriages

By April 1, 2009

Wordless Wednesday Wedding

Hinze and Clark - James Houston/Getty Images

Model and TV presenter Kristy Hinze, 29, and Netscape billionaire Jim Clark, 64, marry in the British Virgin Islands on March 24, 2009. © Photo by James Houston/Getty Images

Kristy Hinze, most famous for being a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model, married Netscape founder Jim Clark, a man old enough to be her father. She has said that she married for love and that she pays her own way. But some critics have wondered out loud about this relationship -- and other May-December marriages. What do you think? Respond to the poll and leave your comments below.

See and Share More Beautiful Wedding Photos in the Newlyweds Forum

Favorite Wedding Day Photos

More Wordless Wednesday Photos from Other Bloggers
Comments
April 1, 2009 at 12:47 pm
(1) Nancy says:

I’ve seen some May-December marriages work out very, very well, while others fell apart because the younger partners matured into persons the older partners didn’t want them to become. Any marriage must be founded upon honesty and realistic expectations. No one can stay 19 forever.

April 1, 2009 at 2:07 pm
(2) Julie@Momspective says:

Gosh what a beautiful picture though. I think it all depends on the true motive, which only those people know.

April 1, 2009 at 2:15 pm
(3) Connie G. says:

My DH is only ten years older than I am, but we still have problems communicating some times due to the age difference!

My sister’s hubby is 18 years her senior and they fit all the answers sometimes. They love each other a lot, he provided financial security for she and her small daughter after her first marriage ended badly, and so on.

In both our marriages, one could say we married for money – if they didn’t know us. Neither one of us would put up with our DHs if we didn’t love them (nor them us!).

April 1, 2009 at 11:27 pm
(4) Suzanne says:

I think other factors are a lot more important than age when it comes to the success of a marriage. Having realistic expectations and being able to work through conflict are probably the most important.

April 2, 2009 at 11:32 am
(5) Beth says:

I think if the two people are both already mature in who they are these can be very strong marriages. But, there will almost certainly be difficulties due to cultural differences between generations. My generation has a lot of very different attitudes than my eldest sister’s, let alone my dad’s generation!

September 24, 2009 at 5:19 pm
(6) PERCY KUTION says:

It all depends on how hot the woman is and how much money the old man has. It will usually work, because even if he can’t put the power to her in the bed, he’s got all that money and she won’t leave. Some of the old men even let the woman get some on the side and think nothing of it. They BOUGHT the woman for show, just like a big house or car or anything else they have money enought to BUY. It all works out. He’s happy showing her off for a few years, it ususully dosen’t take the woman more than 5-10 years to screw ‘em to death, and then the woman’s rich and the old man dies happy. Nobody else’s business.